If you worry about your kids meeting the challenges presented them in life then this book is a must read. Thirteen Things Mentally Strong Parents Don’t Do by Amy Morin. Amy Morin is a psychotherapist, a lecturer at Northeastern University, and a mental strength trainer.
My favorites, expressed positively, are:
- Teach your kids that no matter how tough a situation is there is a positive approach,
- Don’t allow guilt to get in the way of good decisions.
- Use consequences that will help your child make better choices.
- Teach your child healthy ways to deal with emotions so they don’t depend on others to do it for them.
- Show your child how to deal with pain and support them in the process.
There is one in there that is implied but not totally spelled out.
- Give your kids the power to make age appropriate decisions over what they can and can’t do. It helps make them responsible citizens.